Upstanders Spring 2020 Newsletter
Spring 2020 Issue 1
Welcome to the UpStanders newsletter specifically designed for parents, guardians, and caregivers of middle school students. As we work with kids in the UpStanders: Stand Up to Bullying program to create a kinder, more respectful community, we would also like to provide you, as a caregiver, the resources you need to support your student.
Coronavirus, Online Learning, Social Isolation and Cyberbullying: How to Support Our StudentsBy Sameer Hinduja
Research shows that children look to parents and caregivers for advice and help on tough decisions. Start conversations about daily life and feelings with questions such as these:
- What made you laugh today?
- What made you feel proud today?
- Share with me one thing you learned in history (or any other subject) today.
- Share something about your day and ask your kids for their advice on how you should handle it.
- We want to do something together as a family this weekend, what would your top 3 choices be?
Research shows that approximately 1 out of every 5 students reports being bullied. This research, and more, informed the Holocaust Center of the need to develop a bully prevention program. We recognized some commonalities between perpetrators, victims and bystanders from the time period of the Holocaust to modern day bullying situations.
Developing Supportive Environments for LGBTQ Youth
BY IAN SILJESTROM
Safe and Healthy Schools Associate Director,
CONTROL WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL
BY LISA BACHMAN,
Assistant Executive Director,
Holocaust Memorial Resource & Education Center of Florida