Written entries may be submitted in four categories:
2. Creative Writing (other than poetry)
3. Essay (may be informative or persuasive)
4. Research Paper (high school only): The suggested minimum length is 4 pages, but entries will not be disqualified on this basis.
Please note: Footnotes and bibliography are required for the research paper.
Categories for Art Entries:
(Please note the size limitations below)
1. Elementary school students are invited to create posters pertaining to this year’s theme.
2. Middle and high school students are invited to submit two or three-dimensional art in any medium.
There will also be a category for film and/or digital media. Entries should not exceed five minutes in length and should be submitted on 1/2 inch VHS tape, CD-R disk, or DVD-R disk.
There will be separate judging for elementary, middle and high school entries.
Size Limit: Due to limited display space at the Holocaust Center, students are requested to make their entries no larger than 22” X 14”. This is one-half the size of a standard sheet of poster board. Three dimensional art should occupy a “footprint” no larger than 22” X 14”.
1. The entry must be the original work of the student
2. A Cover Sheet is required for each entry
3. All entries become the property of the Holocaust Memorial Resource and Education Center of Florida upon submission.
Submission of an entry in this contest constitutes permission for the Holocaust Center to publish the entry, in whole or in part, in a printed or online collection of student work
4. The decision of the Judges is final
1. Originality and creativity
2. Historical accuracy
3. Relation of the entry to the contest theme
4. Proper grammar and writing mechanics (for written entries)
All entrants will receive a certificate and letter of thanks from the Holocaust Center. Prizes are awarded at the discretion of the Yom HaShoah Creative Arts Contest administrator. Awards may not be given in each category, depending on the number of entries received and evaluation of merit by the panel of judges.
Yom HaShoah Commemoration Ceremony:
All prizes will be awarded on Sunday April 27 at 4:00 PM at the annual Yom HaShoah commemoration ceremony. This interfaith, community observance will be held at the Jewish Community Center Gymnasium located at 851 N. Maitland Avenue, Maitland, FL. All contestants and their families are invited to attend.
Selected entries from the art categories will be displayed at the Holocaust Center through May 2014, and some will be displayed at the Jewish Community Center for several weeks afterward.. Students and/or teachers who wish to retrieve contest entries from the Holocaust Center may do so until July 15, 2014.
December 25 to January 1
We will be closed for Dec.25 and 26 and on January 1.
January 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM
FORUM: The End of Auschwitz
January 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM
Come meet author Boris Fishman and discuss his book A Replacement Life.
Monday - Thursday 9 AM - 4 PM
Friday 9 AM - 1 PM
Sunday 1 PM - 4 PM
No admission is charged for visiting the Center or for attending commemorative programs and films. Scheduled school group may limit access to some parts of the museum.
The Holocaust Memorial Resource and Education Center of Florida · 851 N Maitland Ave · Maitland, FL 32751 · Phone: 407-628-0555 · email@example.com